Image Credit: Violet Lake Swimwear
Why Pilates can get you toned in time for Summer
Most people want to get toned in time for the Summer when they wear fewer clothes and have more flesh on show for all to see. That sounds terrible but I’m not talking about a ‘bikini’ body, I mean who needs one when you live in the UK! I’m talking about wearing shorts and t-shirts and revealing the bingo wings and the chunky thighs!
Pilates comes to the rescue yet again. As Joseph Pilates once said “In 10 sessions you’ll feel the difference, in 20 you’ll see the difference and in 30 you’ll have a new body.” Who wouldn’t want to give it a go? There is still time before the weather gets hot enough to take the jumper off, so what are you waiting for, there is no time like the present!
There are so many ways to exercise. Pilates not only strengthens but it also lengthens the muscles. It does not build bulky muscles. It is an all over body workout but each exercise does use the core.
I have outlined 5 exercises below that I believe will help you tone whilst at home:
- Shoulder Bridge - lie on your back with legs bent, slowly peel your spine off the floor one vertebrae at a time.
- Roll down and push up - standing, feet hip distance apart, drop chin onto chest and roll the spine down. Hands to the floor walk hand out into a plank position. Press up with elbows down your sides.
- Hip Circles - sit on the floor with hands behind your back; with straight legs lift feet off the floor and circle legs.
- Side Lying Leg Lifts - lie on side with arm under head, raise both feet off the floor and hold, kick one leg forward whilst the other goes back. Repeat on the other side
- Single Leg Stretch - lie on your back, lift both feet up to tabletop, lengthen one leg out and bring the other leg into your chest. Repeat with other leg.
If you’d rather have a more dynamic workout, make your way to one of the Bootcamp Pilates Studios to participate in one of the classes. We’re also selling the Beach Body Package at the moment, 16 classes for £200. More information online.
Most importantly though, enjoy the summer!
Image Credit: Violet Lake Swimwear - www.violet-lake.com
Lucy Thirsk served for 15 years in the Army and is therefore no stranger to the “bootcamp” ethos. Having seen operational service in the likes of Iraq, she retired from the military due to illness but was determined to regain fitness and muscle definition. To do so in a controlled way, Lucy became a Level 3 Mat Pilates instructor, and was so impressed by her own recovery that she is now dedicated to helping others. Her military background means she likes working her clients hard, but her experience will keep you within your limits – making her classes fun but intensive. She loves running, keeping fit and broadening her expertise at Pilates workshops.